Monday, September 11, 2006

Go Go Goji

Goji Berries. Not yummy.

But I've been trying to live a more healthy lifestyle, so there they are. Before this our eating habits were pretty good, no meat, pork or chicken (the kids eats some at school). Very little dairy. Whole wheat breads, brown rice, wheatgrass juice. As Organic or local as possible. The kids are used to it, I didn't say they like it. I sometimes include kid staples for them like chicken dinos and the occasional turkey bacon - I'm not that mean.

Lately, I've decided to step it up a notch. Thus a promise to no more dairy (for me) and no white refined flours of any kind (only me again). And tons more fruit and veggies(for everyone- that will eat it without crying). Therefore, more odd foods are added, so goji berries it is. This is just a trial of course, I could break at any time. Especially when I go to Vegas...

But, I'm hoping this will increase energy and help with any illnesses that may come along. Its also, I think, more environmentally friendly. Don't worry, I still pack some of the bad stuff in with the lunches so the kids aren't that deprived. A little bit of chocolate pretzels with their whole wheat apple bars- thats pretty good, no? I don't want to get too deep in granolaville to deprive my kids. What if when they can make their own decisions, they binge on doritos and otter pops until they hurl?

We'll see...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow- I'm really impressed that you've got the C-kids on the healthy(ier) side of the street! Not easy to do, esp. when you're a kid, esp. if you like in Hawaii, where there is all kinds of yummy (but not super healthy) food around! Awesome job! You too! I do what I can, eating organic whenever possible and what not, but I suck compared to you. I agree about goji berries btw- pretty, but not exactly delectable.