Sunday, September 17, 2006

To a Place I Recall, I Was There So Long Ago

I was cleaning out my closet the other day and found some old stuff in there...

Holy moly, thats scary.

I also found this...

Bought in Japan circa 1984.


If you look closely at the shoe you will see that its not Converse people... its Conperse. Yes, fake ones. Why would I buy fake ones, in Japan no less? Because, back then, in '84, Japan was freaky cheap. You could buy a bunch of clothes and end up paying very little. If G. Stefani could get into a time capsule she could have bought ALL of Harajuku.

Anyway, the most vivid memory I have of those 3 weeks in Japan (it was a class trip with other high school Japanese classes)-besides the nuts haircut I got in Tokyo and the fact that you could buy sake from a vending machine right outside our hotel door, was one of our friends from another high school, my sister, Nonnahs and I in a ticket purchasing kiosk while our gay friend is screaming at the Japanese guy at the counter in English because they wouldn't let us buy sold out tickets to WHAM! who was playing at the Buddakon.

Good times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! I'm laughing (oud loud) so hard right now! What I remember is taking the subway all over Tokyo (wo lets a bunch of eenagers roam free in Tokyo for a week?)buying ridiculously bright clothing and...well, I remember your haircut, too. ;) I liked it!! I also remember your whacked out roommate...eesh! Good times indeed! Though, sadly, no Wham! Your 80's flare is awesome! I wonder what happened to mine...

Heather said...

Wham! The Go-GO's! Sigh - the good old days.

Anonymous said...

CONPERSE. You poser.