Saturday, November 25, 2006

Obsession

I do this annoying thing whenever I see something I really like in a magazine. I imagine my house like that, then I obsess about changing things around to make it look like the picture. Its a doomed project from the get go, I know this but I can't seem to stop. My new obsession is in the new Mary Engelbreit Home Companion. Its a Illinois family that decorates in lots of creams, blues and whites and beautiful fabrics, very Dutch inspired. Okay, so I'm not Dutch. Not even close. I have as much Dutch as Jackie Chan. But its so pretty and I do have some Royal Copenhagen lace china so I figure, why not? Maybe 'cause I've redone my kitchen and living room colors about 20 times this year. And apparently blue and white is now what is really needed to make it all perfect. Until I see something else I like.

Anyway, W's friend comes over and says,
"How come every time I come over your house looks different?"
I think,
'Cause I'm Dutch now, duh'
I say,
"I like to move things around"

I really would like to leave things as they are, you know it takes a great deal of time to obsess about stuff that mean nothing to anyone but me but I can't get it out of my head. It also means that I have a lot of stuff I store in our limited closet space. I could be playing with my kids or reading a great novel.


But no. Maybe its a Dutch thing.

4 comments:

Ali said...

Oh keep re-arranging! I wish I had different sets of things to make lovely vignettes. Instead I just accumulate junk until I get fed up with it and toss it all away. My decorating style just swings between bare and messy.

Heather said...

I say go for it!! Everyone needs some blue and white in their lives!! That issue looks wonderful! I received an issue of that magazine in a magazine swap but haven't been able to find it here in Toronto...I'll keep looking though!! (Sometime next year, after the Dutch thing has worn off you could always go French Country - blue and yellow, etc. hehe)

Anonymous said...

You have far more energy than I! Decorate? Ha! We still have crap in boxes from our move...in March!

Anonymous said...

Jackie Chan is Dutch? Who knew.