Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Trying to Stay Green

If you didn't catch Treehugger's Simran Sethi on Martha Stewart last month here's a clip she has info on recyled and bamboo materials. We just got a bamboo sheet set from Bath and Beyond and it was worth every penny(it was many pennies). You would never think bamboo could be that soft.

Also if you don't already read Danny Seo's Blog I highly recommend it. Very cool and inspiring ideas for every day and the Holidays.

This year I'm going to try to buy as many eco-friendly gifts as possible but it proves to be hard here since most of it has to be mail ordered, which in turn causes CO2 concerns as well. Hmmph. Anyway, I found some nice bamboo items from Crate and Barrel as well as from Vivaterra, maybe I will scope out the local wood vendors here too and see if anything turns up. I'll also be checking out the thrift shops, this is a good way to recycle as most of you know, there are a couple people on my list that would appreciate a really good vintage item (which I love, sometimes the fact that it has a history adds to the charm). Trust me, I am no green saint, so I will be getting what I think people want, I know my brother will never appreciate second hand items no matter how much I nag him!

When it comes to the kids though, I am sorry to say I will be getting the standard stuff, clothes and toys that will hopefully last and/or be handed down, I will try to wrap more consciously and maybe give itunes to the older ones. I am only human and I still want the kids to like to me...

Did you know that over 600 tons of CO2 will be generated in America on SHIPPING alone? More than Canada uses ANNUALLY. Something to think about. I believe those afar might be getting emailed gift cards this year. Just as well, not too many people appreciate recycled can top tote bags like I do...Nonnahs suggested this site, it would actually make a cool gift, the gift of no junk mail, who wouldn't like that?

Here's some other sobering Holiday facts from Treehugger:

1. 25: percent increase in the trash generated during the holiday season.

2. 86: percent of TreeHugger readers who say their kids have too much stuff.

3. 97: percent of restaurant gift certificate receivers who say they would like to receive a restaurant gift certificate again.

4. 83,000,000: square meters of gift wrap which winds up on the UK rubbish heaps after the holiday season.

5. 300 million: dollars spent in the USA on mass market women’s bath gift sets.

If anyone has any green shopping tips to share I would greatly appreciate them...

Now - lets go shopping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa...those are some crazy holiday facts! Another reason to not buy bath gift sets! hehe. Don't feel too bad about buying the standard stuff for the kiddies...then I won't have to, either. :)