Monday, November 06, 2006

Play Day

C-girls friend came over yesterday to play. I truly enjoy those times when I get to see her in action with her friends, its like a whole different side to her. When her friend came they went straight to her room and tried to decide what they wanted to do first.

C-girl: "You want to play Barbie?" (very tentatively, not trying to sound enthusiastic)
friend: "No. I don't really play Barbie anymore."
C-girl: (laughing) "Oh, yeah. Me too."
Me: Huh? Little liar.
Me: "How about a craft project, we can make turkeys?"

Okay, I was 'that mom' and had a whole craft thing set up so they could make some turkeys with paper plates, feathers and construction paper. Shut up. It was fun. They even put rhinestone crowns and necklaces on the turkeys, so there.

After the craft stuff, and a long set of playdoh and puzzles they ended up playing with the Disney Cinderella Palace set which to me is just like Barbie but with different dolls so that made me feel better about the Barbie comment.

Anyway, whats up with the Barbie? I remember playing Barbie until I was like ten or eleven years old. And it was actually cool. My niece gave it up when she was about 6 or 7 too and gave all her dolls away. I was so confused. I think maybe girls at a younger age are feeling like they need to do stuff that older kids do, otherwise they feel embarrased and childish. So the Barbies and Tonkas are put away and the X-boxes and Ipods start much sooner. That makes me sad.

I think I'll go home today and play Barbies with her.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I still have my suitcase full of Barbies!! I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of them.

Anonymous said...

Too funny about C-girl and the Barbies. Oh, kids grow up so fast these days...Although, your arts & crafts turkeys sound like much more fun anyway!