Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Feelin' Kind of Beanish

I have this recipe that I use on some Sundays that is no fail. That is unless you don't like beans, then never mind. I usually use it to take to the Momsters so that I don't feel guilty for not cooking anything because I basically throw it all into a pot and then stick it in the oven there. It literally takes me about 5 minutes to put together and I always keep the ingredients at hand. Here goes-

Super Easy Baked Beans

2 cans pork and beans (I take out that disgusting gob of pork fat), undrained
1 can of kidney beans, drained
1/4" cup of brown sugar (you can add more if you like it really sweet)
3 T dark Molasses
2 T mustard (dijon or yellow)
1/2 cup ketchup (this is up to you how much, I just squirt until my arm is tired)
About 1/2 cup textured veggie protein (found at most health food stores)I don't even bother reconstituting it, it expands with the rest of the liquids in the bowl(this is optional I just like the extra protein and texture - thus the name, duh)

Thats it, mix in a bakable pyrex or pot that can go in the oven and bake on 375 for 45 minutes.
Its no fail because I have tried other measurements 'cause I have a bad memory, and you know what, for some reason it tastes the same. Thats kind of scary actually. But my dad loves it and my son does too (those who don't like beans will not be converted by it, however, ask my sister). It goes well with bbq chicken or ribs (or shrimp in our case since we don't really eat meat or chicken)

You can mix it up and add other stuff before baking if you want and aren't as lazy as me:
- brown some ground turkey or beef and chopped onion
- fry and crumble some bacon

I'll post a picture later on, you know I do most of this crap at work and I sure as hell can't take a picture here. I'm lucky if I do any work here.

I edited, this -its supposed to be brown sugar NOT regular sugar - sorry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummers!