Friday, August 11, 2006

I'm not cool like that

Things went crazy the other night. My daughter was enjoying a soft serve cone from McD and gave a little squeal - of pain. So I immediately drop what I am doing and take a look. There's blood on her ice cream. Gross. So this is where I panic. Something is wrong when you eat ice cream and it makes your mouth bleed. Upon inspection it seems that there's blood all around and coming from her bottom front tooth, is this how it happens? I don't remember this. So of course I call her hygenist(sp?). Like all overly panicked moms do. It helps that she is one of my friends, and of course I'm interrupting dinner for her, but nevermind, its an emergency right?

Okay, not so much.

By this time W is laughing at me. Apparently, sometimes the tooth is loosened quickly and there's lots of blood. This is not in my parent manual.

I am the most not keep your cool mom (in the world according to W).

When my daughter fell and hit her tooth on the tub and it went 90 degrees OUTWARD, I freaked. Seriously freaked. I couldn't calm myself and was holding her crying (yes, I was crying )while my husband read through the kids health book and found he had to snap it back into place. What? I held her and cried until we both fell asleep that night. I, of course just make matters worse when an emergency happens.

When my son fell at ToonTown at Disneyland stepping out of one of those cars and hitting his head I had a cow. This was on W's watch mind you. I was pacing, panicking and on the verge of tears as this huge golfball-cartoon-sized (how appropriate) bulge protruded from his head. The emergency guys took 10 minutes to get to us. This is Disneyland, aren't they supposed to just appear out of nowhere?

Even when my kids were locked in the car with the windows rolled up (yes, bad mommy and daddy) the locksmith was called and in the meantime my husband was trying to get my, at the time, 3 year old daughter to hit the unlock button, talking to her like it was a game so she wouldn't get scared. I was made to stay away from the car because, of course I thought I looked calm, but in fact, had panic-mom all over my face.

I don't think I'm the Rachel Green type mom who calls the Doctor at all hours for a cough, its not like that. I think when my kids have visible pain, blood or fear I go into crazy not-thinking-mommy mode. I can't deal with it.

I'm going to work on that, in the meantime where's my parent manual?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing- good lord! I was only around for the c-boy falling at Disneyland incident, and that alone is giving me heart palpitations! How is c-girl's mouth??

Anonymous said...

PS: Happy birthday again! Hope you had a great day!

dee said...

c-girl is fine, tooth is out now... tooth fairy seems to have more moolah than when we were little...
Thanks for the b-day wishes!