Tuesday, August 08, 2006

No news is good news?

It started innocently enough. I read about a yahoo chat room group called the 'Compact' its a group started in the Bay Area that decided that for a year (this year) they would form a pact that they wouldn't buy anything new for environmental reasons. It does not include any food or beverage items, health related items (shoes too, since having bad shoes or no shoes is bad for your health) or- I think- art related items. I guess that's so if that's your creative outlet or business it was okay.

So I decide to do this. I can do this for a year right? I go thrift shopping very often and secondhand clothes- no prob(just not underwear or swimsuits). My sister thought this was hilarious, she knows my shopping pitfalls. My husband just wanted to be sure he wasn't expected to do the same, he's not a big shopper but enjoys and occasional tech toy, and a bit of a metro if you ask me.

So I made some extra criteria for me because I figured I needed some flexibility or I would never make it. Like gifts, I had to buy some gifts especially baby ones, Also, for my friends, I know most of them would not appreciate a homemade muffin mix for their 36 birthday, not happening.

But now its gotten harder. I'm not sure why, but I feel like buying stuff. Like I've been doing this so long and I am getting antsy to buy new things. Might be from watching LC (the Hills) and all her cool expensive clothes and how long its been since I've tried on a really great outfit at a real store. I know I don't need them but you know there's people out there that shop every week for new stuff. I haven't really bought anything SINCE MARCH, PEOPLE.

And the people in the chat room are really getting to me. I made a comment once about how instead of my kids getting a bunch of new toys for their birthdays I would suggest something they really needed instead to their grandparents, like a swimsuit or maybe tickets to the Discover Center. One lady jumped all over me. Suggesting no consumption at all. I think I do pretty good, my kids are not toy mongers and I'm proud of them. Some of those guys in there are super hardcore and make you think that its them against the world and any consumption at all is bad.


So, I dunno. I buy what I can secondhand, I see nothing wrong there. I won't stop doing that.

But now were going on a trip at the end of September to Seattle and Vancouver. I think I'm done with this pact as soon as the trip starts. It will not make me happy to pass buying up stuff on the trip, I don't get off this rock too often. Plus its SEATTLE peeps, those from the mainland don't understand how many stores we don't have here. Like Urban Outfitters, and Pottery Barn, and Trader Joes, and Victoria Secret, and Anthropologie, and Crate and Barrel and IKEA and like a zillion others ... I could go on and on. I seriously laugh when people come here and tell me they went shopping, you mean like at Hilo Hatties? This is probably why not buying anything new is not that hard here. Anyway, I try my best environmentally to the point that I'm comfortable, after that I think I'd be in jeopardy of being unhappy. It feels like I've failed in some ways but I did try. I've been there, it was cool and I've learned a thing or two, and I'll definitely be a more conscious consumer from now on - its the journey that counts right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I applaud your efforts! I think all we can do is try, and the fact that we are aware and do as much as we can is good. If more people just made a little bit of an effort, it would make such a huge difference!

In other words, I give you permission to go shopping on your trip. ;)