Thursday, August 17, 2006

Talent Is As Talent Does

My sister, a professional photographer, and a collegue of hers has a photography exhibit tonite featuring children of underprivledged homes. They go into a low income community and give these kids their own cameras and work with them for a number of weeks. In the end, the kids get their own art show in which prominent people guestspeak and make appearances(sometimes known as shmoozing).

I give my sis props for her hard work, its all non-profit and you can tell it makes the kids feel good when there's usually not a lot to feel good about.

My little brother is in Virginia doing an internship for the CIA (Culinary Institute, NOT Central Intelligence) He's going to be a chef. He's somewhat the screw-up but now he's getting it together, I hope. He's got a total genius brain though, no common sense, but he could retain useless information like I retain water.

It all makes me think, okay, what do I do? Where did all my art/smart genes go? I can do crafts to a point. Easy-peasy stuff. Even then there's often swearing and sweating involved. I can cook. Again, the easy stuff. Nothing Julia about it.

Okay I'll make a list of things I CAN do...

1. I can budget my life to death, W hates that. I try not to anymore, but if I had to I could live on virtually nothing but oatmeal and costco buns in bulk. I've done it before, post-college year living on my own. Yum.
2. I can tell what looks good in a room. Then rearrange it 5 minutes later. Then 5 minutes after that I'll do it again. And again.
3. I can drink A LOT of mocha. Sometimes I can get 2 venti cups in one day. Then actually want another. Its a gift. To my thighs. I think if I did get the 3rd, I'd probably not be able to keep it down. ew.
4. I can do the 'Budgie'. Small inside joke. No, I will not do it again. Ever.
5. I can yell at my kids for the entire night, but I'm so not proud of that.
6. I used to be an o.k. swimmer, back in the day. Even made MVP in my senior year. Get me back in the pool now though, and I probably couldn't outswim my grandma.
7. I can match colors well, this wouldn't be that important except that my sis can't match to save her life. She sticks with the neutrals for a reason.
8. I can spell pretty good. But I have grammar problems. Ya think?
9. I can sing. Just kidding.
10. I'm good at math. Kidding again.

And finally I can make a blog long and boring just because I wanted to get up to 10 things.

So there. Maybe someday I'll find my niche. Until then, I'll keep on keeping on. I'm not complaining in any way, I am very happy where I am and that's what counts. Sometimes there's a good feeling being the middle of the road, no pressure to be ultra-wowing anyone. Not exciting, but I enjoy life nontheless. Its just interesting thinking maybe there's something out there that I'm really good at that I haven't tapped into yet.

Oh well, did I mention the 'budgie'?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a mean, mean woman to mention the word Budgie (uh, TWICE) and follow it with "No I won't do it again." Such a tease!